Sunday, March 15, 2015

Nonverbal Communication in Television

This past week I watched a show on Nickelodeon called, Bella and the Bull Dogs, with my little sister.

This show is a comedy that takes place at a high school.
The characters throughout the show seem to be very jumpy, and have very little movement in each scene before the scene and characters change. There appear to be several different stories in this show, which make it very complicated to decipher. For instance, it seems like there is a girl that dislikes a boy for humiliating her and then she get backs at him by giving him habanero peppers. Also it seems like some other characters in this show seem to be trying to record a video for a commercial.
The beginning of the show starts off with a boy on a horse in the middle of the school while dressed up as a cowboy. At this moment, it appears that a teacher approaches the boy and gives him a form for misconduct.
In another scene in the show I notice that while in music class the teacher seems to be giving praise to someone in the class and the entire class claps. In this moment the boy gets up and sings a song directed towards a girl whom he is interested in. It seems like the girls is in to the boy too since she moves her chair towards him.
After re-watching the show things are much clearer. It appears that I was right about the boy getting into trouble after being caught with a horse in the middle of the school, and he did receive detention. As for the recording of the video I was correct and it is a commercial for a school event called “Tex Fest”.

I think if I watched a show that I knew or at least a show that was not a kid’s comedy I would have been able to understand the dialect and nonverbal emotion occurring.

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth,
    I agree that when you cant hear what is going on you are confused and the message is unclear. I was the same way, I was confused because I couldn't hear what was going on. I think everyone was able to understand the shows once the sound was there. Some of the body language I was able to decipher better. I think without being able to hear what is going on, the message that was intended is not clear and we assume the wrong thing. Good Post!

    ReplyDelete