Saturday, March 21, 2015

Effective communication skills

I do find myself communicating differently with different groups and cultures. When it comes to people that I do not know I am often quiet and shy. For instance, I am out of my comfort zone when I am in a group setting with people that I hardly know. I do sit back and watch others converse while adding in a sentence or too; I do this to include myself in what ever conversation is occurring. When it comes to interacting with people of differing cultures, I tend to be more observant in order to get a feel for the environment and types of communication taking place.
When it comes to communicating with children or elders, I will communicate with these groups similarly, such as showing kindness and being non-judgmental. Oftentimes, children and elderly people are vulnerable and I need to be sure that I am not coming off like I am better or judging anybody. Another strategy that can help me communicate with others is to be sure that I ask questions, this affirms that I am interested and do care about who ever I am talking to. Lastly, it is important to ask those whom I am talking to whether or not they have any questions for me.

3 comments:

  1. I find it interesting how we as people communicate with different groups of people. Even with people we are comfortable with we communicate differently with family, friends, spouses, and significant others. It is important with communicating with others that we are respectful and give the other person time to talk and to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that me and you are very much alike. I do also tend to sit back and just listen when I am out of my comfort zone. I do say a few words to let them know I am involve but most of the time I am scared to say something on the basis of what they may think of me. I have to work on that because I have the right to speak what my opinion is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth,
    I relate to what you are saying in your post. However, I'm curious. It seems to me that communicating with children is within your wheel house, and it's not a far stretch to get to the some of the same mentalities and language with older people who have aged to a more child-like state. Yet, I'm curious how you would handle challenges outside of your comfort zone and what specific cross-cultural strategies you would employ to assist you in communicating with others outside your own culture. Being nonjudgemental is an attribute, as is active listening, and clarifications on your part. It's fine to be observant of other cultures when visiting them, but you also create a culture in your classroom where those outside of "American" culture are likely to be the observant ones. How, then, do you challenge yourself to come out of your own box and initiate competent and effective communication strategies with them?

    ReplyDelete