Saturday, April 4, 2015

Communicating with Difficult People.

There have been a few disagreements I have had in my personal life, in which I try to implement the 3R’s and nonviolent communication strategies in. For instance, I have someone in my life that often gets stressed and frustrated easily, I try to talk in a calm and concise way. When we are bumping heads with one another I find that this person does not speak rationally and will begin to attack my image. 
With this being said, I think it is important to solve one conflict at a time. When I speak to this person things will escalate in an argument when he is in a bad mood and we will never get to an agreement.  In order to manage the conflict, I think it is important to reflect on the main reason why this argument is happening, and do not get off track and start discussing another conflict until conflict #1 is resolved.  Another way to resolve conflicts is to be sure to not bottle things up. It is important to communicate with one another the things that you do not like/ things that bother you, otherwise if you don’t you will become too overwhelmed.


What is your input on dealing with a person who seems to always be stressed out and has a hard time communicating with others?

3 comments:

  1. I agree I think the only thing you can do is what you are doing. Just keeping a level head and not accelerating it to the next level which will not solve anything. Keep doing what you are doing and eventually cool heads will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the person who sometimes becomes easily frustrated and has a hard time communicating. What works for me personally is to just go to another room or out of the house on my own to cool off. I live to drive so sometimes I take a drive around. Once I have cooled off I can come back to the argument with a cooler head and I am then able to talk about and find a solution to whatever the discussion or argument was about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth,
    I appreciate your personal experience in managing multiple conflicts at once. It's often very difficult to stay on track and deal with one problem at a time. It is also difficult to deal with a person who cannot regulate their emotions well and resorts to insults to "win". When this situation happens to me I do my best to stay on track and not let their emotions get me flustered. Often by commenting on their emotions without judgement can help the situation. For example, If a person is yelling at me, I might respond first with, "I notice by your volume and tone that this really upsets you and makes you angry." Often making them aware of the emotion they are expressing helps them to become aware of how they are getting off topic. Conflicts can be delicate, but having patience in working through them and not taking on another person's emotions are a couple of steps I have found that can help lead to positive resolutions.

    ReplyDelete