Saturday, November 8, 2014

My Family Culture

I am half Native American and Mexican, however am more in touch with my Native American side.

Three small items I would take along with me during this evacuation would be a dream catcher, Kokopelli figurine or stuffed animal, and a turquoise necklace. Each of these items represent my Native American culture and are common things I have in my house. In addition, I feel all of these items represent who I am.
I would explain to others that each item has a different significance. For example, the dream catcher chases bad dreams away, while the Kokopelli is a fertility deity that plays the flute, while traveling from place to place wishing positivity everywhere he goes. Lastly, Native Americans are well known for their turquoise jewelry. I absolutely love Turquoise due to the vibrant hues and variations of the rock.
If I were to narrow my belongings down and keep one personal item with me I would pick the Kokopelli figurine. Like previously mentioned, the Kokopelli is a fertility deity. He not only presides over childbirth, but also having fertile agriculture and the fertility of game animals.
For this assignment, I had to look up more information about the Kokopelli and had learned that he represents fertility in game animals and in people. In addition the Kokopelli is depicted as having a partner or with animals depending on each tribal beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth,
    It is great that you share such a rich cultural side.Whenever I see dream catchers,I did not know the singficance of them. it is great to know. In addition Kokopelli is something that provides positivity. ?What is it exactly? Also are you planning on learning about your Mexican heritage? Both cultures are enriching.

    ReplyDelete