Saturday, August 1, 2015

Week 5- Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice (E Santacruz)

            I am a young looking 25-year old preschool teacher. In reality, I look like I am 16 years old. I have been working at the community learning preschool center for almost a year, and I have noticed that because of my appearance and age I find that some children and families do not consider me to be a “real teacher”. While I teach, I oftentimes find the children in my class overstepping my authority. These children only do this with me and not act this way with the other veteran teachers. While I am doing circle time with the class and with the other teacher setting up the snacks for snack time or lunch, she will have to stop what she is doing and tell the class to stop talking and to pay attention to me.
            As for family interaction, I think many parents do not take me seriously do to me being younger, however in reality, I am the most educated when it comes to schooling at my preschool center. Many parents will turn to the veteran teachers for any questions or concerns, however I am trying to break this barrier by trying to develop more of a parent-teacher relationship. In my school, teachers lack parent-teacher relationships and daily communication with the parents. According to Eric Hoffman, “families are experts in their own child (Laureate Education, Inc, 2011). And by creating a stronger bond with the families I can better cater to their needs and wants for their child. In the end we both want the best for their child.
            Since taking this course, I have taken more initiative and have written positive notes to the parents about their child’s well behavior at school. It is too often that parents are only told about a child’s bad behavior and does not get any praise for their good performance. By letting my class know that I am writing good behavior notes, this gives them positive reinforcement to be on their best behavior. In addition, this gives me recognition since I am going above and beyond in order to implement a parent-teacher bond.

References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Strategies for working with diverse children: Learning     about fairness: Culture, language, and economic class. Baltimore, MD: Author 


1 comment:

  1. Dear Elizabeth,
    I had a hard time this week thinking of an "ism" that has personally affected me, but while reading your blog I could definitely relate. Currently, I am the director of a small child development center and I have had numerous people disregard or not comprehend that and go to one of the teachers with something that I need to help them with. They always get redirected but it just makes me realize how others see me. I also teach high school students and have had visitors check in with my aide rather than knowing I am the teacher. They are just little things that I tend to ignore. I have always looked a lot younger than I am, and it takes a lot more effort sometimes to gain respect from parents and children because of it. That is great that you are reaching out to the families to start the connection, and I love your idea of sending home positive messages. -Mary

    ReplyDelete