Sunday, June 28, 2015

What I Have Learned

I hope that families put their children first and make sure they are getting the right resources if necessary. It is important to have the family and teacher have a bond to make sure that everyone is on the same page. I hope that families express to the teacher what they want from their child's education. For instance, I have a 3 year old student in my class that is struggling with language. This particular student is learning three languages and the child acts out because he cannot communicate clearly what he is trying to say; so he gets frustrated and pushes and hits others. This child is spoken to in Castilian, which is Spanish but from Spain, his home language in Spanish, plus he is also learning English. This child attends speech classes, however I feel the parents should sit down with the teachers, director, and speech instructor in order to collaboratively find a solution to help this child further his language development.

My goal is to talk to my director at the school I work at and tell her the benefits of connecting with the families in our school. In addition, I want to continue our efforts at the school I work at to creating a more diverse environment. As of right now, the school I work at does a pretty good job at creating a diverse environment by having a diverse array of toys and other teaching resources.

I want to take this time to thank everyone in the course for having read and made comments on my discussions and blogs. I really appreciate the feedback. I am thankful that we have this support group here to lean on; I wish everyone luck on their future endeavors.

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth, I feel that you should first go to the director and get permission to talk to the parents. Maybe they could just start the child off with learning two languages at first, then when he mastered those after he reached maybe five or six he could pick up the third language. or there has to be a way to modify his behavior while he is at school. I would talk with thee parents and let them know what is going on; maybe even videotape the child in action and show it to the parents. From Joy Manley

    ReplyDelete