Sunday, December 14, 2014

Welcoming Families From Around the World

The name of the family's country origin is Nepal.

In order to prepare myself I will locate Nepal on a map and see what is the primary ethnic and religious background. I will also research what the typical customs are in Nepal. In addition, I will find out information about their education system. Lastly, I will research about various ways of communication (the do's and don'ts).


Knowing these five aspects about people from Nepal can provide a lot of information and help us ease the transition of our student and their family to our American customs. For instance people of Nepal worship the cow, so it would be important for me as a teacher to educate my other students why people of Nepal do not eat beef. In addition, it would be important for me to know who is the head of the household, in order to discuss school business with. I also think it is important to know of the different religions in this country, as particular religious practices might interrupt with the normal class schedule.

3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,
    The first thing I would like to know about Nepal why do they worship the cow? Is it because they don't eat beef, I'm just curious. Transition students and family here to our customs will be a great experience, I would like to explore from this different country and find out how they country is different from ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stephanie,

    Nepal was a good choice. You make a good point when you say that you would find out about their educational system. Maybe the ideas you get from them you can incorporated into that child’s class. I also think communication is essential in order to establish a relationship with the child. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Elizabeth for the name error! :)

    ReplyDelete