Friday, November 8, 2013

Child Development and Public Health

            This week I did more research on nutrition/ malnutrition and its impact on child development and population in Africa. This past summer I chose to read an autobiography, Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane, on the life of a boy living in apartheid in South Africa, I have gained more knowledge on the topic and how malnourishment affects the development of children. Reading Kaffir Boy has given me a deeper understanding of the circumstances that took place during apartheid, and how many children and their families suffered from low-income, unemployment, safety, and more importantly malnutrition. Having read this autobiography, I am emotionally more sensitive to nutrition and its affects on child development.

            Today, hunger still exists in many rural communities in South Africa. After performing more in-depth research, according to, “The Social Context of Children’s Nutritional Status in Rural South Africa” obesity and under-nutrition are some issues that are under fire, possibly linking to the collapse of apartheid in South Africa and the easily accessible fast-food restaurants put into place (Madhavan, S., & Townsend, N. (2007). Not only will malnourishments lead to poor health, but will also have further implications in the future.
            Having learned more about nutrition, this information will impact my future work by making sure that all my students receive the proper nutrition for a healthy development. I will teach my students and their families the benefits of healthy nourishment and the implications of a malnourished diet. In order to teach my students about a healthy diet, I will implement fun activities where my students will determine what foods are healthy foods, and also by having them bring in a healthy snack to share with the class.

References




3 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth,

    That's very true that many children suffer in malnutrition are also suffering in poverty. At least in CA, they have a WIC program for children to receive free milk and milk products. Yet it is not enough, at least that ensure children have sufficient dairy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog...hunger is a great concern, not just in foreign countries, but here in the United States as well. Children go hungry so often, and its effects are very detrimental. In my school district, we serve breakfast to our preschoolers because oftentimes, my babies are hungry. It is very hard to teach a young child when basic necessities of life are being compromised, such as food. I believe that this is an epidemic that needs to be studied closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your blog this week was awesome, thanks. hunger is a huge issue. I think even in my small community I wish I could do more to help the hungry. I appreciate that all your research and I have learned so much from your blog, thanks.

    ReplyDelete